LEBANON- EMERGENCY RESPONSE IN BEIRUT
Scores of casualties and thousands were wounded in the aftermath of the port explosion that shook the core of the city of Beirut, Lebanon on August 4th, 2020. The Beirut port serves as the main import hub for wheat, corn, soybean, and other essential supplies. Our team immediately responded to the Beirut crisis and headed there to Launch the Emergency Response Campaign in the City, Rahma Worldwide is currently cooperating with local organizations and preparing supplies needed to support families in the Lebanese Capital. The explosion came at a time when the Lebanese economy was in free fall, and the country was on the brink of a comprehensive collapse, and more importantly in the middle of the COVID-19 Pandemic. The explosion left behind a long-lasting impact on Lebanon.
Lebanon has sustained a large influx of refugees crossing the border from Syria due to the ongoing crisis. More than 1.5 million refugees have been registered with the United Nations.
Refugee camps in Lebanon
● 12 refugee camps
● More than 479,000 refugees are registered with (United Nations UNRWA in Lebanon).
● Approximately 45 percent of refugees live in the country’s 12 refugee camps. Conditions in the camps are dire and characterized by overcrowding, poor housing conditions, unemployment, poverty and lack of access to justice.
● Half of the Syrian refugee population in Lebanon is now food insecure.
● Refugees express raised concerns about the lack of information and resources to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
● Health Sector is overwhelmed due to port explosion in Beirut and the COVID 19 pandemic.
Our team distributed food packages monthly to the needy Syrian families in Lebanon.
The food packages contained canned foods as well as rice. Distribution sites were set up in Minyeh and Bhneen camps.
We continue to provide monthly assistance to Syrian refugees, who are displaced in camps across north Lebanon.
● Food Baskets ● Udhiya
● Winterization Cloth and Fuel ● Hygiene Kits
● Ramada Kitchen ● Rahma Educational
● School Supplies Center
Typically, In-kind gifts are collected from various areas within the United States. However, Rahma Worldwide has received containers from Germany, Qatar Red Crescent and Sweden.